Thursday, January 26, 2017

My Old Checkerboard Quilt

My Old Checkerboard Quilt


 Today i thought id write about this old red and white checkerboard quilt of mine.....there have been so many enquiries about it over the years even though it is such a very simple design........
 .................the picture below is one of the most pinned of all my blog pictures.....
 ............so in answer to those lovely readers who have asked for details about this quilt here are a few.....it is made from 4inch squares and i paper pieced it by hand ( quite a few years ago)........
 .............i used any scraps of fabric from my stash for the coloured squares as long as there was some red in the pattern..........then i arranged them alternately with plain white squares to create the classic checkerboard pattern.......there are 225 squares altogether.........
 ...........when the squares were sewn together (in rows of 15) i added a 3 inch white border all round....
 ............i decided to hand quilt around each square just inside the seam and then to quilt a 2 inch square in the centres..........i used i inch quilting tape to give me a guide line to sew the centre quilting squares.......
 ...........we have used this quilt for years now and it has been washed and tumble dried many times and is still fresh and new looking......

 .............it is such an easy pattern and when i made it it was without much though at all ;).....yet it works and is pleasing to the eye in its simplicity...........a true scrappy patchwork quilt.......
 ............the backing is one of my favourite pink and white candy striped fabrics (though if i had made this quilt now i would have bought a red and white fabric specially and not just used one i had the most of in my stash at the time).......and (another favourite) red and white gingham binding............
 .............i hope this post will help to answer all the questions this quilt has received over the years from lovely readers both here and on facebook :)............x
 ..............here is a more recent shot of the checkerboard quilt on my quilt ladder and below with the little bears from my new book modern vintage gifts..............
 ...........this past week has been quite a rollercoaster ride for me and i am glad of my little crafty world to escape to sometimes and of my dear friends and family who have shown me so much kindness....and that includes you my sweet blog friends too of course..........x
...............thank you to everyone who visits me here in my little blog space......it is always a pleasure to know you are here and to read your kind comments.............wishing you all a wonderful week ahead with sweet flowers and peaceful crafty times to enjoy.........back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Available link for download